Line Lord of House Draconus

Klingon Homeworld Name

I know this has been stated before, but I can't find it. If the following is true ("Klinzhai (Klin Zhai) - [n] Official name of the Klingon homeworld. Also called Kazh. ("The Final Reflection," "Dwellers in the Crucible" [TOSN])."), then where did the designation "Kronos" come from? (I blame the Vicodin).

Line Lord of House tSepeS
    Imperial Minister
    D.I.T.

Awards High Council Service Award House Service Award Legion of Arms Order of the betleH
    It is a difference of who was doing what. Trek TOS never address it, so FASA and other gaming, out before the first movie (I think) took it from there.

After, it was not addressed again until later in eityher TNG or DS9, I don't remember, but it seems that it was in both, with different names.

Now, this doesn't mean that one is more correct than another: look at reall life, and you find examples of multiple names for the same Nation -

United States of America
    USA
    The States
    America

All correct, but used in varying ways.

United Kingdom
    UK
    England (I think there is a difference, but you know what I mean)
    Britain

Not sure of any other examples off hand, but I hope this help folks realize that it doesn't have to be on or the other - Klin {tlhIn}, Klingok (I know I heard this one said by Worf somewhere) KlinZhai {tlhIn Say}, Kazh {qaS}

Supreme Commander
    Lord of House Reshtarc
    Protector of The Empire
    Awards Order of the betleH High Council Service Award House Service Award
    Earth, Terra, Sol III, Gaia, and more.

As noted, within Klingon culture, there is Klingonaase, tlinghan Hol, and more than likely other language roots and dialects. This would lead us to believe there could easily be more than one word for the "Homeworld", just as there are more than one word in languages across Earth.

A few examples:

Tierra, Tere, Erde, Eer, Eerd, Ierde, Aerd, Aerde, Yird, Jorden, Jorda, Jord, Maa, Toka, Zeme, Zemlja, Zemlya, Zyamlya, Lurra, Gaea, Dhara, Ersutu and many, many other words.

Krahl

Line Lord of House Draconus

I shoulda thought of that (I blame that too on the Vicodin).

cha'DIch of House Kpel
    House Kpel's Weapon Master

Quote Originally Posted by Krahl View Post
    Earth, Terra, Sol III, Gaia, and more.

As noted, within Klingon culture, there is Klingonaase, tlinghan Hol, and more than likely other language roots and dialects. This would lead us to believe there could easily be more than one word for the "Homeworld", just as there are more than one word in languages across Earth.

A few examples:

Tierra, Tere, Erde, Eer, Eerd, Ierde, Aerd, Aerde, Yird, Jorden, Jorda, Jord, Maa, Toka, Zeme, Zemlja, Zemlya, Zyamlya, Lurra, Gaea, Dhara, Ersutu and many, many other words.

Krahl

Krahl busts out his tech manual, pretty informative indeed

Line Lord of House lungqIj
    Awards Shield of Tradition Blade of The Empire Expeditionary Force Award
    The planet is called Qo'noS (Kronos) in the standard Klingon dialect.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/index.php/Qo%27noS <- Memory Alpha is good for this kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mor'taH tSepeS View Post

United Kingdom
    UK
    England (I think there is a difference, but you know what I mean)
    Britain
    Just need to correct this, since I'm from the UK :)

The full name of the country is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". UK is short of that name.

Great Britain is the name for the countries of England, Wales and Scotland combined. So UK is the group name for the countries of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Just don't tell an Irishman that he's from Great Britain, he may not take kindly too it

Awards Shield of Tradition
    Quote Originally Posted by qurgh View Post

The full name of the country is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland". UK is short of that name.
    Correction... "United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN Ireland".

The Republic of Ireland/Eire/southern Ireland is independant

Quote Originally Posted by Kehlan View Post
    Correction... "United Kingdom of Great Britain and NORTHERN Ireland".

The Republic of Ireland/Eire/southern Ireland is independant
    Yeah, I know... but we English like to believe we still control the whole country :p

Awards Shield of Tradition
    It does rather illustrate the point though, doesnt it... how complicated the naming of one small place can be.. and we have just one planet...

How many languages are there on Earth?

and how many more are likely to flourish across a vast interstellar empire?

Quote Originally Posted by Kehlan View Post
    It does rather illustrate the point though, doesnt it... how complicated the naming of one small place can be.. and we have just one planet...

How many languages are there on Earth?

and how many more are likely to flourish across a vast interstellar empire?
    It's not really complicated. I made a mistake when I typed the name and then made a joke to cover it up. If you ask the UK government what the name of the lands it controls is called, it'll give you the "UK of GB and Northen Ireland" name.

There maybe many words to talk about a place in different languages, but the only name that matters is what that entity tells someone else. Once we make contact with another intelligent species, we'll tell them one name by which they will refer to this planet (if they don't already have one themselves). That name will be Earth.

This planet is Earth, just as Venus is Venus and Mars is Mars.

Qo'noS is the same way. The UFP knows it by that name, and Qo'noS is the name a Klingon would refer to it when speaking the official language of the planet. Even if they may refer to it by another name when talking with speakers of the same dialect.

While random novels and other sources may have come up with names for the planet because they didn't have one, canon didn't accept those names and gave us the name of Qo'noS.

Lord of IKEF's reStarQs
    I believe that the TNG episode "Heart of Glory "had one of the three Klingons who were saved by the Enterprise refer to the homeworld in this context "the sons of Kling". It was later thought to be ridiculous that our planet be named Kling so they changed it to Qo'noS. I'm happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krahl View Post

Indeed....

I have seen it as Klinzhai, as well as Kling, or even just, 'The Homeworld'.

And....in one of the Books that I have been Transcribing from, it seems to be known as 'NgoKnuur'

No Indication as to why, though

Line Lord of House tSepeS
    Imperial Minister
    D.I.T.

Awards High Council Service Award House Service Award Legion of Arms Order of the betleH
    Quote Originally Posted by KOHN View Post
    Indeed....

I have seen it as Klinzhai, as well as Kling, or even just, 'The Homeworld'.

And....in one of the Books that I have been Transcribing from, it seems to be known as 'NgoKnuur'

No Indication as to why, though.

Well, as far as that last bit, I'd say a fit of some sort .... lol

I just started rewatching Enterprise and in episode one a couple of Vuclans have this conversation with Archer and the Starfleet brass:

Vulcan: Fortunately Serval and I have maintained close contact with Kronos since the incident occured.

Archer: Kronos?

Starfleet brass guy: It's the Klingon's homeworld.

I'd say Paramount has picked Kronos, and the other names can be considered "other dialects". If you want to be "Official" pick Kronos (especially if your planning on using tlhIngan Hol), while the other names are there if you want to do something different. Just remember, that while most people have seen the shows, not everyone has read those books.

I got into Klingon's during TNG, so I didn't read the John Ford stuff until after I had already read the Klingon Dictionary. Probably why I'm set on Kronos (Qo'noS).

As a side note, I wonder if the planet's name is a generational marker within Klingdom? People who were TOS-era Klingon fans use names like Klinzhai, while TNG-era and beyond fans use Kronos?

Qapla' juppu'wI' 'ej tlhIngan Hol yIghoj!